Thursday, August 7, 2014

30 Week Doctor Appointment & Ultrasound Update

I want to start by saying thank you to all of our prayer warriors, well-wishers, and those who have simply kept us in your thoughts and close to your hearts. I know so many of you have prayed hard for Silas and for us, and today we really felt it. I wasn't really expecting anything new to report from today's appointment, but nothing really goes exactly as planned (another thing Silas has taught me).

The doctor we typically see was at a delivery so we ended up seeing a different doctor. One who is very familiar with our current situation, but we do not see regularly. I was not super excited about this, but what a blessing it turned out to be. 
We are still measuring at 32 weeks, which means that fluid levels are the same as they were 2 weeks ago. This is such positive news for us! However, I was warned that levels can rise very rapidly so I need to be aware and on the lookout for any rapid growth. 

It gets better... 

We had a spur of the moment ultrasound today so we got to see our precious boy! The doctor wanted to check fluid levels and see how Silas was doing. I am so incredibly thankful that we were able to see Silas today. The Doctor says I have mild Polyhydramnios (almost moderate), but better than he would expect. However, the doctor did express concern about the umbilical cord. There seems to be large knots and loops that weren't there before. The best way to describe it is that it looks like a large, very fat, pretzel close to where it attaches to Silas. A while back the perinatologist said that the umbilical cord was interesting, but nothing to worry about. It since has gotten bigger and changed some, but it doesn't really change anything so we aren't going to worry about it. 

I mentioned to some of you that Silas was not able to bend his right arm and it was fixed in a fully extended position. I could often tell when he would move his right arm because it was a very stiff/stretching movement and sometimes a little painful if I was in a certain position. I haven't felt that for the past couple weeks.  So, I asked the Doctor to look at his right arm and tell me if it was still fully extended... to our surprise, it's not! Silas was bending and flexing his little arm for us! This news in no way changes the diagnosis/prognosis for Silas, but it is wonderful to know that he is able to do this. It feels so good to see he has made some positive progress and I got to have a proud mama moment. After receiving what feels like nothing but negative news for the past 12 weeks, this little bit of positive news feels pretty darn good! 

The doctor also mentioned that Silas looks really good compared to other T18 babies he has seen. A little on the small side, but good. I don't know if he was saying that to make me feel better or if he really meant it, but it made my heart very happy and very grateful. I didn't expect today to be so emotional. I feel so happy to have received good news today, but also very heavy hearted because it doesn't really change anything. 

After the appointment, Ezra and I went for a walk and he expressed how glad he was that Silas could move his arm now, but was curious about how and why that had changed. He also said that seeing his baby brother today made him feel jealous that Silas has T18 and other babies don't. Even at his young age, he goes through many of the same emotions Karl and I do. I am trying my best to guide and carry my family through this, to stay strong, and relinquish control. It hasn't been easy, and I have had to learn a lot along the way, but every day I try. 

“Learning is a gift. Even when pain is your teacher.” - Maya Watson

No comments :

Post a Comment